08 July 2012

For James

Finally. I've been working on this quilt - either with fabric and thread or in my head - for 18 months. I fell in love with this quilt and fell hard. I printed out pictures. I showed it to my friends. I stared at it and thought. I pulled out my graph paper. I collected fabric. I cut it all out. I made one star. And then baby-palooza happened and it seemed everyone I knew was having a baby. So this got boxed up and put away for when I had time.

Finally, I found time. I made time. I decided that this needed to be done. And I put aside other things that I needed to be doing (quilts for Africa, I'm looking at you) and plowed through and finished. And I'm in love. I love this color palette, which I totally stole borrowed from the other quilt. They were almost all fabrics in my stash but I think I may have bought a few. Background is Kona Dusty Blue.
Love. And I finished it just in time for my nephew's 5th birthday. Almost literally. I tied off the last knot as we were pulling into the neighborhood. I think it was well received by his grandmother, with whom he lives. (In fairness, I knew she'd love it.) As any 5 year old would be, he was more interested in the toys that were also in the bag. My feelings are not hurt.

Bonus! They have a nice big house where I can hold twin sized quilts over upstairs railings for full length shots. Solid here is Kona Medium Grey - my default. And there is some navy shot cotton as the tiny borders around that awesome bunting print from Sweetwater. It's impossible to see in this shot but trust me, it's ADORABLE.

And that binding? Super love. From Lizzy House's Hello Pilgrim collection. Just the tiniest hint of blue in it that really sets it off against the white border on the front.

Plus, I've finally started using real quilt labels. The quilts for Africa started that.

And the status of those other quilts I'm working on? One is finished. I just need to take pictures. One is quilted now. One is being basted tonight. The last two tops are all done so those *just* need backs and quilting. And terrifyingly only 8 days to go to get them all done. Deep breaths. . .

xoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. Love the stars - they really pop off that blue and I am so glad that you are labeling your quilts. Non-labeled quilts are a real pet peeve for me.

    ReplyDelete