20 August 2011

Minor surgery

Remember I showed you this quilt a while back?  I made that cute little sailboat on the back with all of my leftover triangles from the front? Well. . . when I washed it, I had some nasty fraying issues on the sail and another little bit just under the boat.  Since this is a baby quilt and will probably be washed a lot, that wasn't really going to work.  So I thought.  And I thought.  And then I took my little quilt to see my sweet friend Alice and she helped me get it sorted.

I found some fabric that coordinated and made a new needle turn applique sail and little fish.  Taking off the old sail wasn't an option since my lines of quilting went straight through it. Needle turn applique wasn't a skill that was high of my list of things to acquire but it was not so hard and I'm glad I did it.  I'm certainly not speedy though.  The little sail took me nearly an hour.  On the bright side, I kind of like the fact that the sail isn't quilted and is a bit more billowy - like it's blowing in the wind.  It gives it a bit more texture.  And, I wasn't really in love with that original polka dot fabric anyway.  It looked a bit washed out.  This new red sail makes a statement! (Not sure what that statement is other than "I'm covering up a mistake". . .)

Hope cousin Anna and new baby Zachary like the quilt. It is making its way to them now.  Finally.
xoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Love! What a great idea. And you are right, the red is definitely a statement (in a good way). Perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know I love the sailboats, and the red sail is brilliant, love Mom

    ReplyDelete